Thursday, August 12, 2010

Afro Samurai

I had never been an avid anime fan until my very first time coincidentally watching Afro Samurai down at the basement of my dormitory with Nic. The animation is amazing and the presentation puts other anime movies to shame. Afro is a bad-ass samurai and the fact that Sam Jackson does the voice for him makes it doubly badass. But the thing that really makes me love this movie is the cultural syncretism that it promotes. Afro Samurai takes place in an ancient Japanese setting but modernized and filled with rich African American culture. Oh also, Rza from Wu Tang does the music for this movie and he kills on every single track for this movie. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Interesting yet straightforward plot but after all, there are other things that make this movie a masterpiece you've gotta check out.
Alright, I am done yapping and now back to our kicks for today. These are actually mine and also not Vans. They are my very first pair of Tom's. So to celebrate such a memorable occasion (if you haven't noticed I have fetish for shoes and will do silly things like this just to show much I love my kicks.), I have decided to paint them using one of my all time favorite anime movies, Afro Samurai. The design is simple and features the main character Afro and his twice killed, first friend then enemy, Jinno. I also painted the quote "Add one more body to the body toll. May God bless this poor bastard's soul." on the back on these two. So here they are, I present to you, my lovely and of course dope Afro Samurai kicks done by yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment